|texturing > apply ceiling textures|
Related Ceiling Articles
Ceiling Texture PatternsDrywall Auto Lift
Texturing Ceiling, Knock Down
Repair Ceiling Texture
How to Apply Ceiling Swirl Texture
How to Apply Ceiling Texture - Stomp
Uneveness and imperfections in ceilings prior to being stomped (as with all textures) might show through even with a stomp overtop. Before you begin, look at the joints, the lighting, and the cut outs (to see if any ceiling repair of cuts must first be done). The ceiling should be fastened with screws and dry from taping and mudding.
1) Mix a diluted compound with a stir padde on a drill.
2) With at least a 3/4" nap roller, roll on to a sample wallboard. This will leave the slipping tracks of a background pattern.
3) Continue diluting the compound until you attain the match you are after. When ready, dip either a nylon bristle stomp or a natural bristle stomp on a pole, into the mix. The natural bristle heads give an irregular pull style. For imprints that are too stiff an impression, try soaking the nylon brush head in a bucket of warm water for a while to loosen the bend of the bristles. They should be limp.
Maintain a wet head as you go by first dipping in the mix and giving a light shake to free too much accummulation. Remember that if starting with a head too dry it will pull excessively from the ceiling base coat that was rolled on, while beginning from a head too heavy with the mix will cause overdeposit.
4) Simply remove the wet mix on the trial board with a wide taping knife. Roll on again and stomp until the desired crows print is made.
5) With the pattern ready, prepare a larger batch, enough to cover the enitre ceiling with a fair amount of excess -- having enough to not run out.
6) Roll on the mudd to cover the ceiling in a single step, cleaning the edges with a taping knive and creating an upward score at the outermost edge for straightness with the blade. Wasting no time, follow behind with the stomp brush on a pole, working with the damp layer well ahead until the entire ceiling has been covered with stomps. With this method of texturing, it is best done by someone rolling and someone stomping at the same time.
7) Drop the brush head and knifes in water to keep them wet til cleaning.
Drywall Ceiling Install Ceiling Drywall Repair
Other Texture Topics